Thursday, September 6, 2012

First Update on Shafic - 4/10/2012

This was an email sent to people who helped contribute money towards Shafic's first year of school, written on April 10, 2012.


Hello!
It has been awhile, but I recently received an email from my brother, Shafic in Uganda and he asked me to pass it on.  Thanks to your contribution, I was able to help him during my last trip to Uganda.  While I was there we began the LONG process of paperwork and steps to getting his passport, paid rent for his home, bought food to last several months, paid for transportation to and from various schools to interview and find the right fit, and most importantly we were able to pay for his first term at a vocational school.  This was my first attempt to sponsor someone in this way, and even HE could tell you I was very strict and kept records of every shilling spent!  With every step I tried to be very mindful about the impact the money and my decisions around that would have on him and his future. So, often times I found myself repeating things my parents had said to me or lessons they taught me.  I think, regardless of where a child is born growing towards financial independence and self-sufficiency is crucial, so I really tried to help guide him in that direction. Through lots of discussion and prayer, I decided it was important to have Shafic make most of his own decisions when it came to his future.  I think this helped him to engage and take responsibility for his actions.  Ultimately, it is his life and I just want him to be happy!  He decided to go to a vocational school, rather than pursue A level education and I think that was a great decision. He will have 2 more years of school and then hopefully will be in a much better position to get a job and become a self-supporting, healthy adult.  (If you would like me to go into more detail, please let me know and I can fill you in more on everything.)

In the mean time, here is the email he sent....

"Hello my sister thanks for the information you gave me and l want to take this opportunity to thank all of those who worked hard to collect and donate the money for my studies. I really appreciate all their help. Please let them know that I have completed my O level studies. I have also recently enrolled in a vocational school in Kampala to continue my education. I will be taking a course on travel and tourism management. I have been lucky enough to find a free place to stay and I am right now looking for a job so I can pay the rest of my fees. I want to thank everyone for their support and I would never have been able to get where I am today without their help. Could you please pass this on to those who helped me? Katie, if you want to let them know that I only have fees for one term then that is up to you. I also want to thank you for all your help. I love you my dear sister. I will talk to you soon.
 Your beloved brother"

So, from Shafic and I - THANK YOU for your generosity and your contributions.  He is onto his next step in life and taking things one day at a time.  As we all know, life is not always easy, but because of people like you Shafic is living, and surviving and thriving.  To see where he came from to where he is now, it is proof that there is a loving existence out there guiding and caring for us all.  I am humbled and privileged to be able to witness that great love and it encourages me to continue with my own work and passions.

As he mentioned, he does not have all of his school fees or his expenses covered for the next year.  I truly believe that something will work out, but from where we stand today we do not know how it will all unfold.  I am not in a position right now where it is possible for me to cover his expenses, but I am working hard and so is he.  If you are interested in continuing to help sponsor Shafic's education, please let me know and I can help make that happen. More than anything, I just wanted to say thank you and wanted to let you know that you made a difference in someone's life you've never even met.  It means so much and you are sincerely appreciated!   

Much love to you!
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment